Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Wait...I'm Not Talking About Krug?


I will now take a break from my usual Wolf Parade ranting to post some news on the new Weezer album. That's right, Rivers and company are releasing a new record June 24, which is apparently called the Red Album (clever, right?). I don't know why I am hopeful for this album. In my opinion, Weezer have not released anything attention-worthy in 12 years. And I know for a fact there is no way this new album could return to the old glory days of Pinkerton and the Blue Album. But in the time since the craptastic adventure that was Make Believe, Rivers has grown an obnoxious mustache, and he also somehow broke up the band and then got them back together randomly to release this new album that I am posting about here. This ridiculousness on Rivers' part is basically what gives me hope for this new record. Maybe it will mean a big, much needed change for these guys. And the ridiculousness continues on the newly leaked single, Pork and Beans.

Pork and Beans starts out slow, sounding like a Blue Album B-side. Again, that would still be better than anything the four have done since Pinkerton (I exaggerate a bit, but you see my point, I hope). Then comes the chorus, and boy, does Weezer sound young again. The song as a whole is reminiscent of El Scorcho to me, likely due to the self-mockery and humor found throughout the song. When Rivers sings things like "Timbaland knows the way to reach the top of the charts/Maybe if I work with him I can perfect the art," I can't help but laugh. So overall, I can see a lot of nostalgia in this song; maybe Rivers finally figured out that he needs to stop writing songs about his best friend and start rocking again. I am looking forward to the new album after hearing this song. More posts to follow.

Weezer - Pork and Beans

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still contest that Weezer post-Pinkerton isn't really a bad band... they've just released some bad albums (and a decent one in Maladroit). This song probably beats Beverly Hills though ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm excited but it can't be better than the green album

Erik said...

yeah, i was exaggerating...clearly not everything they've done in the past 12 years is shit. just most of it. and haha to joey, call it a ritual might be the least random lyric you could put in that "random lyric of the day" box.

Anonymous said...

wait...chava's not talking about krug!?!

Anonymous said...

hehe i thought the lyric would be funny

Anonymous said...

The Green Album took five years to make and it had, like, two good songs.

Anonymous said...

Who the fuck are these dudes? Tell me more about fake Krug track names that will be changed on a whim in seven minute!

Anonymous said...

But seriously, for a band as prolific as Weezer, can't they have some peaks and valleys in their career without everyone giving up hope completely on them? Sure, Make Believe was a airplane crashing into a train derailing into an abortion clinic, but lest we forget that they are capable of Pinkerton-caliber brilliance.

By the way, nice timely picture.I didn't know they brought back Mikey Welsh.

Anonymous said...

2 good tracks?!?!?!

not so.

Anonymous said...

Their decline and Matt Sharp leaving the band was no coincidence though Dan. Rumor is that he was the main songwriter behind stuff like "Undone" and "The Sweater Song." Granted, Pinkerton was more a product of River's creation, but Sharp definately had a ton of influence on that one too.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am aware of that, as a huge Matt Sharp/Rentals fan. I'm just saying that I still have faith. Will this be as good as or better than Pinkerton or Blue? I seriously doubt it, but this promise to turn them around for the better.
Plus, Rivers by himself is a brilliant song, or should I say, "sawng"writer.

Anonymous said...

Back to the basics for Weezer?

http://saynoradio.com/2008/04/15/weezer/

B said...

Sounds like a pinkerton b-side(so that means songs from the black hole) song.

I think it's great.