Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Coldplay: "Violet Hill" Download



While waiting for my history final to start I decided to take advantage of Coldplay releasing their first single from Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends. You can go to Coldplay.com and click on the 'songs' tab to receive your free copy of the song from the website. Just be advised that the site has been getting backed up so you might want to go to another source.


My first reaction to "Violet Hill" was that Phil Collins and/or Genesis were playing backup for Chris. If you know me you'll realize this is a compliment to Coldplay. The rhythmic verse uses a surprisingly authoritative guitar and builds into a very catchy chorus. The last 40 seconds gives us the familiar piano solo where Chris pours his heart out to us.

Overall I'm a little disappointed after all the hype, but I can guarantee you I'll be singing "If you love me, won't you let me know" for the rest of the week.

Rating: 4/5


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

just heard the song and immediatley googled violet hill phil collins and came to your blog.. totally agree with you on that one!

Anonymous said...

I really like it! And it gets better with more listens. A good sign of what is to come with the album. Loving the guitars!

Anonymous said...

Your guarantee has all the weight of a Chad Johnson guarantee. It's not a bad song, though.

Tomek said...

you can download it at rapidshare also: http://rapidshare.com/files/11.../coldplay_violethill.zip

D said...

just replace Chris Martin and I might actually be interested in this album

notputtingupshelves said...

Hello,

Just did the same as you googling Phil Collins and violet hill. Glad someone else thought the same. It wasn't just my ears.

Cheers
Em

leighton said...

Another one for the Phil Collins google, it seems this is the number one site for it! Right from the drums, and even the guitar and a backing piano/synth track... I wondered where they would be going with this album - its back to the 80's judging by this track...

Sildenafil said...

Cold Play is my favorite rock band because they combine hard, soft and alternative music, I'm waiting for their last album "Sildenafil Citrate " because my best friend told me that's awesome.