Wednesday, March 19, 2008

New Music: Death Cab for Cutie, RZA

Death for Cab Cutie - I Will Possess Your Heart (album version)

(from the forthcoming Narrow Stairs LP, due out May 15)

Other than its typical Death Cab title, "I Will Possess Your Heart" sounds nothing like the Death Cab you and I know. I mean, really. The album version stretches out to eight and a half minutes, all of it unsettling and insistent, from the tumbling piano chords to the drifting, droning guitar to unrelenting bassline. The vocals don't even emerge until close to five minutes in, and even then Ben Gibbard isn't spouting his usual "I love you, you love me" bullshit. He sounds possessed, not proclaiming "I will possess your heart" as a playful advance, but rather as an unavoidable future event, an absolute truth. Between Gibbard's inspired, almost intimidating vocals and the perfect instrumental build-up to them, well...I never thought I would say this, but Death Cab kicks ass.

RZA (feat. Inspectah Deck) - You Can't Stop Me Now

(from the forthcoming Digi Snax LP, due out this summer)

Oh, 8 Diagrams. Didn't like it when it came out, and only feel slightly more positive about it now. I came to realize how thoroughly Raekwon tore shit up every time he rapped, but still...too much U-God and RZA, not enough Ghost, and at no point does the Clan offer the jaw-dropping fire of yesteryear Wu. While "You Can't Stop Me Now" came from the 8 Diagrams sessions, it's surprisingly good. The RZA sounds uncharacteristically focused and under control, while everyone's favorite Rebel INS spits a decent verse of own. Certainly suggests more Diagram-type production for Digi Snax, but maybe RZA can mend fences with Ghost and Rae and hit 'em up for a couple guest verses, and, uh, leave U-God, Cappadonna, and Masta Killa (no, Masta Killa isn't that great; anyone who thinks No Said Date was some great Wu feat is misguided) to do their own business.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

eh...I kinda like old Death Cab